DblRam Note Log
1997 Dodge Ram 3500
Property of flainn. Added Sep 4 2020
Showing all notes
Feb 23 2022
Sold for $14,300
Added by flainn on Feb 23 2022 at 5:44 pm
Oct 19 2021
Replaced oil pressure sensor (there are two types; this one has round electrical pins and I bought a Standard Motor Products PS-233, $21.52 on Amazon). This fixed the oil gauge problem where it was barely working — very common on these trucks.
Added by flainn on Oct 19 2021 at 4:50 pm
Oct 9 2021
Engine Oil, engine oil filter
Added by flainn on Oct 9 2021 at 10:37 am
Oct 8 2021
Replaced the halogen headlight bulbs with two Leppein brand type 9004 LED bulbs, $40 for the pair on Amazon. These are 6500 kelvin and much whiter and brighter than the ridiculously dim halogens. They each have a tiny cooling fan, so I hope that they will last a long time (the fan is probably the limiting factor). These are supposedly genuine Cree chips.
Added by flainn on Oct 8 2021 at 4:42 pm
Sep 25 2021
Replaced WS wipers with Michelins from Costco
Added by flainn on Sep 25 2021 at 11:05 am
Sep 10 2021
New windshield and seal at Premier Glass & Tint in Los Lunas. $230
Added by flainn on Sep 10 2021 at 2:00 pm
Six new Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs put on and a new spare tire as well. Work done at Discount Tire in Los Lunas. I bought replacement certificates (good for “the life of the tire”) for all six Goodyears (not the spare). I also had to replace all 32 lug nuts because Discount said the old ones were the wrong kind and wouldn’t work on the truck unless I replaced them. So all told it ended up being about $2200. The lugs alone were $360, but Discount split the cost with me to prevent me from just walking away from the deal. Overall I was happy with how things turned out.
Added by flainn on Sep 10 2021 at 1:08 pm
Aug 20 2021
Added by flainn on Aug 20 2021 at 2:33 pm
Jul 28 2021
Added by flainn on Jul 28 2021 at 7:00 pm
Jun 1 2021
Changed transmission (NV4500) oil. Put in (through shifter tower) four quarts of Mobil-1 Delvac full synthetic SAE 50 manual transmission fluid and one quart (one quart overfill) Amsoil synthetic manual synchromesh transmission fluid. There is much debate regarding whether or not to overfill the NV4500; however it seems unlikely that overfilling it will cause any problems, and will probably be beneficial for heavy towing.
Added by flainn on Jun 1 2021 at 8:34 pm
May 27 2021
Replaced the multifunction switch — the thing that controls turn signals, hazard flashers, high beams, and windshield wipers. The brake lights were not working and it was this thing’s fault.
Added by flainn on May 27 2021 at 9:40 pm
Drained front differential, cleaned up and resealed cover, and refilled with full synthetic 75w-140.
Added by flainn on May 27 2021 at 9:39 pm
May 23 2021
Drained and refilled transfer case (NP241DHD) with Dexron/Mercon III ATF.
Added by flainn on May 23 2021 at 7:08 pm
May 6 2021
Replaced parking brake equalizer bracket; properly adjusted both the rear brakes (with the star wheels) and the parking brake. According to what I've found, some dragging with drum brakes is normal -- and if I adjust things so that there is no dragging when the parking brake is off, the parking brake will not hold the truck on an incline. But, properly adjusted (and with some dragging even with the parking brake off), I've got the parking brake to where it will hold the truck even on a significant incline. I verified with a 55-mph drive to the post office and back that despite the dragging, things are not getting even slightly warm -- so it's probably nothing worth worrying about. It's great to finally have a working parking brake!
Added by flainn on May 6 2021 at 9:31 pm
May 5 2021
Rear brake shoes, drum brake hardware, cylinders, and drums replaced on both wheels; both rear hubs' bearings cleaned and repacked; both rear hubs' oil seals replaced. Brand-new nylock nuts and locking wedges used on each hub, as well as a brand-new metal gasket for each half-shaft. I replaced the stock Dodge brake cylinders with GM ones spec'd for the same Dana 80 axle; the GM ones are supposed to have increased braking power. Rear diff oil changed, also (Mobil-1 full synthetic 75w-90 limited slip), since you have to drain the axle in order to remove the rear hubs. I believe that either the brake cylinder or the axle oil seal (or maybe both) have been leaking for a long time on the driver's side; it was an incredible mess.
Added by flainn on May 5 2021 at 9:07 pm
Apr 26 2021
Replaced cruise control vacuum servo with a new one (Mopar part number 4669979, new old stock since these are no longer available). Hopefully this fixes the cruise control.
Added by flainn on Apr 26 2021 at 6:47 pm
Apr 24 2021
Drained all old gear oil from rear axle, removed and cleaned up diff cover, and replaced. Will add gear oil later after at least 24 hours have passed, to allow gasket to cure.
Added by flainn on Apr 24 2021 at 5:39 pm
Apr 20 2021
Replaced left rear wheel hub seal (and cleaned and repacked inner and outer wheel bearings on the same wheel).
Added by flainn on Apr 24 2021 at 5:38 pm
Dec 12 2020
Fuel filter changed
Added by flainn on Dec 12 2020 at 4:22 pm
Oct 17 2020
Oil change and oil filter change. I managed to shear the shoulder off the drain plug (the service manual says to torque it to 60 lb-ft, but I think that must be wrong), so I had to drain all the new oil back out again. Thus this is going to actually be a double oil change ... :/
Added by flainn on Oct 19 2020 at 10:43 am
Oct 15 2020
Killer dowel pin (which had already fallen out -- thankfully, no damage) fix installed; new front crank seal and timing cover seal installed; both radiator hoses replaced; thermostat and seals replaced; water pump replaced; fan clutch replaced; belt tensioner and serpentine belt replaced. Refilled with new green coolant afterward.
Added by flainn on Oct 19 2020 at 10:39 am
[Back to Vehicle Profile]